2013 was a year of filled with mixed emotions for Tottenham Hotspur. Yes, we might have finished below Arsenal once again, but we did achieve 72 points from 38 games – our highest ever. On the way, we’ve had many ups and downs. In this blog, I will reflect on our top five moments of 2013. A year full of truly amazing moments.
5) Let’s start from number five. My fifth best moment of this year has to be the famous 3-0 win over the Italian giants, Inter Milan. We went into this game thinking it’ll be a tough and a long night, but the Tottenham boys showed the Italians how football is played. We ran out 3-0 winners as Gareth Bale scored 6 minutes into the game. Gylfi Sigurdsson made it 2-0 ten minutes after, and then Jan Vertonghen all but sealed the game early in the second half by heading in our third goal of the night.
4) My fourth best moment is probably the Clint Dempsey equaliser against Man United in the last minute of stoppage time. We looked to be on the verge of dropping three crucial points, but the American international had other ideas. Man United kept us out for the majority of the game,. However, in the last minute of the game, Aaron Lennon put in a low ball into the box and Clint Dempsey tapped it into the back of David De Gea’s net. I absolutely lost my head when we equalised and broke my Sky remote whilst celebrating. The celebration at the final whistle from the boys showed exactly what the result meant to them.
3) My third favourite moment of the year is when we came back from behind to defeat Manchester City. We looked like we were never going to score as Manchester City kept firm at the back for 70 minutes. But the next 7 minutes that followed were truly exceptional. Clint Dempsey equalised in the 72nd minute, and after that goal you could feel the fire and energy from the team. The Manchester City players looked shook after the equaliser. We went on to score two more goals as Jermain Defoe and Gareth Bale found the back of Joe Hart’s net. A truly memorable game.
2) This is a very tough decision, but I’m going to have to go for the game in which we overcame the challenge of our North London rivals, Arsenal, at White Hart Lane. We came into this game high in confidence, beating West Ham at Upton Park in our last fixture, we were ready for the arrival of Arsenal. Gareth Bale opened the scoring ten minutes before half time, and then Aaron Lennon almost instantly scored our second goal two minutes after. Per Mertesacker pulled one back for the Gunners, but it wasn’t enough. The final whistle blew as we collected all three crucial points against our deadly rivals.
1) My first and most favourite moment of the year has to be Gareth Bale’s mouthwatering strike against West Ham in the last minute to award us all three points. What made this moment even more special, was the celebration that followed. After the goal, Gareth Bale famously ran to André Villas Boas, and sealed the win with a hug. A few of the players and staff also joined in on this group hug. It was a truly sensational night, and I will never in my life ever forget that moment.
The five moments that I’ve mentioned and discussed about above, I will never in my living memory ever forget them. They were all truly inspiring moment, and I remember going insane at the end of each of them. Let’s hope 2014 brings Tottenham Hotspur Football Club even more delightful and memorable moments. Onwards and upwards. COME ON YOU SPURS!!